Are you looking for non-surgical methods to get flawless skin? If yes, we have got you covered. In this article, we will share a complete guide to microdermabrasion, an effective procedure to improve your skin appearance. In layman’s language, microdermabrasion is a non-surgical and minimally invasive skin care treatment to improve the overall skin quality, texture and tone.
Microdermabrasion is beneficial in curing sun damage, fine lines, stretch marks, acne marks, scars, open pores, blackheads, melasma, wrinkles and other signs of aging. In short, it’s a complete solution to rejuvenate your skin.
Scalp micropigmentation is a process that involves injecting pigment into the scalp to change the color of hair. It can be done in different colors, such as blonde, brown, or red.
A Quick List of Signs that Microdermabrasion Is Used to Treat
- Acne and acne scars
- Stretch marks
- Fine lines
- Open pores
- Blackheads and other skin-related issues
- Uneven skin tone
- Dull skin
How Is Microdermabrasion Performed?
As mentioned earlier, Microdermabrasion is a non-surgical procedure. Hence, you don’t have to worry about going under the knife.
Instead, the treatment is completely safe and performed using a special applicator. The abrasive surface of the applicator is used gently on your skin to exfoliate your skin.
Some dermatologists also make use of other techniques. Instead of using the applicator, they use aluminum oxide or sodium carbonate. Firstly, your skin is sprayed with fine particles of aluminum oxide or sodium bicarbonate and then a suction is used to sand away the thick outer layer of your skin so that dead cells are removed. As a result, blood circulation is improved and your skin quality starts improving.
Steps to Prepare Your Skin for Microdermabrasion
If you are planning to get microdermabrasion done, please follow the below steps to prepare your skin for the treatment.
- Book a Consultation: Before taking the treatment of microdermabrasion, it’s advisable to consult your dermatologist first. Your dermatologist should know your skin type and other details related to your skin. Make sure you freely talk about your skin issues with the doctor. Also, it’s better to tell the doctor in advance if you are on any kind of medication or if you had any cosmetic surgeries or treatment before.
- Drink Plenty of Water: Drinking enough water is extremely essential. It not only keeps your skin hydrated, but also reduces fine lines and pigmentation. It’s better to start drinking plenty of water if you don’t do it already.
- Stop Using Skin Care Products a Week Before the Treatment: Stop applying any kind of creams, moisturizers, sunblocks and makeup at least a week before your treatment. Also, avoid sun exposure as much as possible.
- Cleanse Your Face Just Before the Procedure: You should always cleanse your face before you sit for the procedure.
These steps are extremely important if you want effective results.
Precautions to Take after the Treatment
You need to take some precautions once your treatment is done.
- Avoid Sun: Going out in the sun after the treatment can cause major sun damage. This is because Microdermabrasion makes your skin super sensitive to sun. Therefore, it is better to stay indoors for a week after the treatment or make sure you apply sunscreen before you go out in the sun.
- Clean Diet: Avoid oily or junk food right after the treatment. It’s always better to eat green vegetables and a healthy balanced diet.
- Hydrate: Apply moisturizer on your skin as it becomes dry after the procedure. Also, make sure to keep yourself hydrated by drinking plenty of water.
Make sure you take the given precautions to avoid any complications.
What are the Side Effects of Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion doesn’t result in any major side effects. You may face mild swelling and redness for a few hours after the treatment. However, it will eventually go away.
You may also find your skin getting extra dry and flaky but there’s nothing to worry about. Just apply a good moisturizer on your skin to prevent dryness.
Is Microdermabrasion Effective?
Microdermabrasion is certainly an effective treatment. People who take this treatment claim to see significant results in less than a day. You need to keep yourself hydrated and protect your skin from the sun after the treatment to get the best results.
What Is the Cost of Microdermabrasion?
The average cost of microdermabrasion is $150-200. However, the prices could vary depending on factors like your locality, etc.
Is Microdermabrasion Painful?
No, Microdermabrasion is not at all painful because it’s a non-surgical procedure. The best part about this treatment is that you can resume your daily chores just after a day of your treatment.
What are the Different Types of Microdermabrasion?
There are different types of Microdermabrasion including crystal microdermabrasion, diamond-tip headpiece and hydradermabrasion.
What are the Side Effects of Microdermabrasion?
There are no severe side effects of microdermabrasion. You might experience mild swelling and redness for a few hours after the treatment.
Is Microdermabrasion Covered In Insurance?
No, Microdermabrasion is not covered in insurance. Anything related to aging and skin pigmentation is not covered under the insurance.
How Long is the Procedures of Microdermabrasion?
Microdermabrasion is a short procedure and it will take somewhere around 16 to 30 minutes.
Is One Treatment of Microdermabrasion Enough?
Although you will start seeing positive results after the first procedure, it’s better to take a series of sessions of microdermabrasion to get the best results.
How to Deal with the Dryness after the Treatment?
Make sure you apply moisturizer on your skin to avoid dryness. It’s normal to experience skin dryness after the treatment. Nonetheless, it will eventually go away in a few days.
Microdermabrasion is an amazing solution for all your skin-related issues. You can start experiencing the effective results of this treatment in just a few hours. However, you need to be very particular about your skin routine once you get this procedure done. Always keep yourself hydrated and your skin moisturized. Eating healthy food like salads, green vegetables, soups will further add to the benefits of the treatment. In short, microdermabrasion is a safe way to get flawless and spotless skin. Try microdermabrasion yourself to see the results!