Scientists have carried out research on the effects of CBD on depression for decades, though the last few years have seen an uptick in interest. Depression affects over 300 million people worldwide, and pharmaceuticals and traditional treatments do not always offer help.
Depression is Debilitating
Depression can become life-altering and may prevent people from leading normal lives. Often, depression and anxiety go hand in hand. Those interested in learning how CBD can help should contact Greenlife Remedies Cannabis and CBD Store. The symptoms of depression include the following.
- Feelings of worthlessness, hopelessness, and sadness
- Loss of interest in activities that once caused pleasure
- Sleep disturbances that may include insomnia or sleeping too much
- Tiredness, lethargy, and lack of energy
- Slowed thinking and body movement
- Reduced appetite
- Trouble thinking and concentrating
- Frequent thoughts of death and suicide
How Can CBD Treat Depression?
Many pharmaceuticals have side effects that cause people to avoid taking their medications. Medication compliance is one of the most significant challenges of treating depression in people of all ages. The following provides insight into some of the ways CBD can be used to treat depression.
CBD helps people with depression because of the way it interacts with serotonin receptors in the brain. Many people with depression have low serotonin levels. Although CBD does not increase serotonin, it affects how the brain responds to serotonin.
In a study conducted in 2018, scientists discovered CBD has anti-stress benefits. Reducing stress helps individuals improve their coping abilities and the negative effects of depression.
It is important to note that CBD should not be used to replace prescription medications without a doctor’s approval. It is especially critical a person never stops taking their medication abruptly because they could regress in their depression.
Tips for Overcoming Depression
Depression is something many people do not talk about. Thankfully, time has made people realize this is a more common ailment than most believe. The following tips should help people cope with their depression.
- First, a person needs to look for support from someone who cares about them or from someone who has suffered from depression and understands the difficulties it causes. Getting support is critical for handling depression.
- While phone calls, emails, and texts are beneficial, it takes face-to-face communication to bring relief. Getting social is often challenging for those who suffer from depression, but it is highly beneficial.
- Offering support to others can help people who suffer from depression. Research has shown people can experience an even greater boost when they give support over getting support.
- Adopting and caring for a pet can lift the blues and make a person better able to cope with their symptoms of depression. While nothing can replace human connections, having a pet to love can bring joy and help banish sadness.
- Joining a support group for depression is also helpful for those who have this condition. Getting support from people who know how depression feels can offer beneficial assistance that helps people cope better.
CBD Offers Promising Benefits for Depression
As research continues, scientists are discovering more information on how CBD works in the brain’s receptors. CBD helps the brain respond to serotonin properly. While it does not help increase serotonin, it does benefit people who suffer from depression. CBD may even be beneficial in combination with other forms of traditional therapy.